Are you actively looking for a job? Or are you simply open to exploring new opportunities that might help you get to the next step in your career? You can obviously browse through job postings boards and career pages on a regular basis to keep yourself up to date on the market. But how about being directly approached by a headhunter who would offer you an unexpected opportunity to help advance your career?
We’re sharing with you the best tips and strategies to get identified and approached by a headhunter!
1. Create a linkedin profile
Linkedin is one of, if not the one main tool for headhunters, and for a good reason. The professional network brings together over 400 million membres worldwide, which represent a vast pool of potential candidates for recruiters and headhunters.
If you don’t have a presence on Linkedin, the chances of you being approached by a headhunter is greatly reduced! We recommend creating a Linkedin account, which only takes a few minutes and will greatly increase your chances of being approached by a recruiter.
2. Optimize you LinkedIn profile
If you already have a Linkedin profile or have just created your account, the next important step is to make sure you optimize your profile’s content for headhunter to be able to find you. Simply listing your education, job titles and pas employers aren’t enough to be found by recruiters. You must also use key terms specific to your expertise and to your industry.
When researching for candidates to approach, headhunters will use keywords related to the position they are trying to fill. Placing the right key terms in your profile that are used by recruiters, you make sure to appear in the search results and so increasing your chance to be approached.
Here Are Some Tips
1. For each positions you’ve held, describe your tasks and give as much details as possible :
2. Spend some time brainstorming and choose your “Title” well. It must describe your general skills or field in which you want to work in.
3. Indicate the exact city where you live, or if we want to indicate a big city nearby it is best to do it if you are actually interested in actually working there or you run the risk of being mostly approached for positions that are geographically not interesting to you. As an example, we see many users indicate “Montreal Area” while they actually live in the suburbs and are not actually interested in working in Montreal. By being specific about the city you live in, it will be easier for headhunters to approach you for position that may really be of interest to your in term of geographical location.
4. Fill the “Tips for contacting” section of your profile. This section will allow to share some of your personal information, like your phone number or personal email, to your connections or other members of the network. This is especially helpful if you are actively looking since headhunters will be able to get in touch with you quickly and easily without needing to get in touch with you through the platform first.
5. Invite L.I.O.N (Linedin Open Networker) to join your network. L.I.O.N are users who accept all connection requests. It is not always recommended to invite stranger to join your network, but when you first start on Linkedin and you have very few connections, L.I.O.N can help you expand your network a little faster. When searching for candidats, recruiter will typically have their 1st, 2nd and 3rd level connections appear in the search. Having someone with a lot of connection in your network will help appear in search results of more headhunters.
3. Add your resume to online job boards
Several websites and job board like Jobillico, Emploi Québec, Indeed and Monster offer the possibility for candidates to create and account and making their resume directly available to employers. Without even applying for a specific job, a headhunter (or even an employer) could find your resume and get in touch with you and let you know about an opportunity.
In the case of Jobillico, once you upload your resume it can come up in any research made by headhunters or employers if the keywords they are looking for appear in your resume. If your profile shows up in a search, Jobillico will then give your profile ranking score out of 100 to let the recruiter know how much your resume is relevant or not to the search. The higher your rank is, the more chance you have at having headhunters open and view your resume. Just like Linkedin, keywords are a very important factor, so make sure you :
If you are still employed and do not want you current employer to stumble upon your online resume, you will need to be cautious. You can adjust the privacy settings on Jobillico to avoid that from happening. The website allows you to block your current employers or companies of you choice to prevent them from seeing your resume.
4. Think like a headhunter
If you can put yourself in the recruiter’s shoes when writing your resume or online profile, you will have more success being approached. To do this, you can ask yourself the following questions :
In any case, you must be able to create some connection between your answers and the position you are looking for. The clearer the links between the two, the more relevant your application will be and the more likely you will be approached by a headhunter!
You might like
As an employer, you may be impatiently waiting for your employees to return to the office… But do your employees really miss physically going to the workplace? Your employees coming back to the office is unlikely to ...
On dit que l’honnêteté est l’une des plus nobles des vertus. Pourtant, selon une étude menée en 2020 par ResumeLabs, 93% des participants disaient connaitre au moins une personne ayant déjà menti sur leurs CV et 36%
La question des attentes salariales est une source de stress pour nombreux chercheurs d’emplois. La réponse que vous donnerez étant susceptible d’avoir un impact significatif sur le déroulement du reste du processus. 4 Pièges à éviter